Monday 1 November 2010

The hunting of the snark

Henry Holiday's illustrations for the Hunting of the Snark, here it is:
roughly 134 years since the publication of the hunting for the snark and Holiday has still got it going on! take a look- if they were done yesterday he would be the only illustrator in modern day to be doing this. I don't proscribe to the idea of simplifying editorial illustration as we have seen in recent years (by this I mean the long lasting trend of naive illustration). I believe illustrators should be doing more in the way of intricacy, admittedly the subject of these images is a little on the dark side but I am referring to the skill and penmanship- such  things would surely enrich our lives today. I'm not saying make all art this way but everything has its place and I think its time that this fashion came back around.
 that we can all look forward to seeing more of this sort of "handskill" work in books, posters, magazines and advertising.




No comments:

Post a Comment